- to increase insight into the history and the evolution of the bass clarinet;
- to stimulate biographical and historical study of players and their works.
C.I.R.C.B.'s objectives in carrying out these aims are:
- to provide documents on history and development of the instrument related to manifacturers and patents;
- to identify the intellectual rights holders of documents and to obtain permission from them to publish, or to establish that the material in question is in the public domain, or failing that to make all reasonable efforts to locate rights holders and to provide the means by which any claim upon any material can be made;
- to publish this edition to the web, with free worldwide access, at no charge to the end-user;
- to provide supporting documentation in the form of online "profiles," i.e. encyclopedia-like entries on persons, institutions, works, and places named in the published materials;
- to provide librarians and archivists with information to help them catalog their holdings of bass clarinet materials; and to provide private owners with information about the materials in their possession, and where appropriate to encourage them to place those materials in a publicly accessible library or archive when the copyright is over;
- to raise awareness of studies, articles as a rich repository of information concerning not only bass clarinet, hence the history of players, but omposers's view on this instrument, and other fields of endeavor;
- to stimulate the use of these materials for research purposes, by presenting conference papers and organizing round tables, issuing periodic progress reports, publishing articles and monographs, the latter including the paper publication of a volume of selected entries;
- to provide a working model for other, future web-based correspondence collections, in any field.